Tuesday 22 May 2012

Non-Cuban, Non-Starters?

Its Tuesday night, I am in a Meatloaf and Mac & Cheese induced food coma, I just lit a Primo de Cuba Rothschild Honduran Cigar, and now I am two lines into my latest blog entry!!

I have had very few cigars over the last nine days. The one I smoking at the moment is only my fourth. I am still getting through the cigars I received from the states. I bought them at Cigar Auctioneer and they are all Non-Cuban. In the spirit of honesty, I think I was duped.

I have outlined what I though of each in previous posts as I sampled each different brand, however, in retrospect, they are average cigars. I have only had one of each so I may be wrong. I thought I was getting a good deal but I suppose you get what you pay for. They are definitely not up to Cuban standards.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not trash talking the Non-Cubans, merely stating that the ones I purchased are not great. I have had some great Non-Cubans in my time. I primarily smoked Davidoffs when I started my cigar journey, I have had fantastic Macanudo Vintage 2000's, I have even had great Bauza's.

Over the last nine days I have had:

Arturo Fuente Cuban Corona : Probably the ugliest cigar I have ever held and it smoked how it looked. I didn't finish it.
La Riqueza No.4 : This wasn't  bad. A Nicaraguan Puro and you could tell.
Imperial Toro : I concentrated on this cigar a lot, then a bit more, and a bit more. It never changed, not once
Primo de Cuba Rothschild : I'm smoking it as I type, probably not giving it the attention I should, although I am not sure if it deserves it.

A lot is said about where you are, what you have eaten, what mood you're in etc..when it comes to smoking cigars. Maybe I am not giving these a fair shout. All I know is when I look in my Non-Cuban humidor there are only two brands that excite me. I smoked them, I enjoyed them.

The Alec Bradley MAXX The Fix and the Pinar Del Rio Seleccion Reserva Limitado.

>beer break<

Now, after chatting to some of my Brothers Of The Leaf (BOTL - I only figured that out the other day) from over the pond(on Twitter), most notably @NJLeakester, there is a world of fantastic Non-Cubans. The Rocky Patels, Alec Bradley (other than the Fixx) and 5 Vegas Gold to name a few. So I wont give up just yet.

The plus side of the whole saga is that if I feel its not working, I can always go to my Cuban humidor and pick out a nice Cohiba Siglo VI, Partagas Series P No. 2, Trinidad Fundadores or whatever I feel like enjoying.

Almost Finished my cigar now. Verdict: Average

Ugliest Cigar Ever

Nicaraguan Puro

Imperial Toro

PdC Rothschild




No comments:

Post a Comment